If you are eligible and agree to join the Project, the Project team will perform Whole Genome Sequencing for you without costs. We will also go through the results with you to help you and your family members better understand your health condition and to potentially gain new information that could lead to more effective treatment options.
If you are a patient with an undiagnosed disease, participating in the Project will:
- Assist clinicians to uncover the cause of a disease for you and possibly improve your chances of a correct diagnosis;
- Assist clinicians in devising clinical care and long-term treatment that is more appropriate for you;
- Help you and your family understand the genetic risks to facilitate family planning; and
- Potentially inform diagnoses for patients with similar symptoms.
If you are a patient with hereditary cancer, participating in the Project will:
- Help clinicians formulate more appropriate treatment for you; and
- Assist scientific researchers and medical professionals to understand the relationships between genetic variants and cancers that you and other patients may be living with.
If you are an individual that may benefit from genomic and precision medicine, participating in the Project will:
- Help you and your clinicians understand and identify the right treatment or intervention for you at the right time; and
- Assist scientific researchers and medical professionals in expanding knowledge in disease-related pathways, and facilitate scientific and therapeutic discovery.
If you are a family member of the above patients/individuals, participating in the Project will:
- Help the Project team gain insight into the medical situation of your family member by comparing their genome with yours, thus formulating a better care plan for your family member.